Yaddo Gardens




The Yaddo Gardens are a Saratoga staple, which thankfully, most tourists don't know about. Built by the Trask family at the turn of the century, these gardens are truly beautiful and well kept. While the Yaddo is actually a private artists' retreat, anyone can visit the gardens and they are free to visit. In the past, (so like, in the late 70's-early 80's) the Yaddo fell in disrepair due to a lack of funds, but the area was renovated in the 1990's back to it's antique grandeur. I have a family video of the Yaddo that was taken by my father and grandfather back in the 70's, but I'm not sure where it is. If I find it, I will post it at a later time.

Best of all, the yaddo is not a popular destination so you can really walk around and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere without rowdy crowds, or the ever-present crowd of dogs that plagues the downtown area. If you are looking for a meditative walk in which you can enjoy the scent of roses in the air, and appreciate the artistry of landscaping an sculpture, please visit the Yaddo.

Ektar 100, 35mm. Photo by me. June 2018


The rose gardens are based on 1800's italian designs, while behind them, is a wooded "rock garden" which houses mostly wild northeastern plants like lilies and hosta. The Yaddo is really well kept by a team of volunteers. The best time to go is in the summer, when the roses peak. Though I hope to visit again in the fall, when the trees are lively shades of orange and red.

Yaddo Website:
https://www.yaddo.org/yaddo-gardens/about/

This website has a bunch of historical facts. In addition, by the entrance gates, there is a metal mail box, in which the yaddo keeps pamphlets with info for tours and how to donate money in order to keep the gardens clean and free of vandalism. They also offer ghost tours that take place at night. I have not gone on one, but there is a great deal of recording history of the Yaddo.

Ektar 100, 35mm. Photo by me. June 2018


One of my favorite spots in the Yaddo is at the very top of the stairs, where there is a lovely gravel walk way that is surrounded by a veranda of blooming roses. There is also a sundial which is engraved with some truly beautiful and detailed work.

For those who love, time is eternity.
photo by me. ektar 100, 35mm


On the other side of the rose gardens, are the Four Seasons  statues, naturally, my favorite is Autumn, who is shown holding bundles of grapes. I really love the grecoroman style of the four seasons statues. It is rumoured that gothic plagiarist extraordinaire, Poe, visited Saratoga, in order to try and get inspiration for a poem. However, he failed miserably. A true inspiration for us all.



Taken w/ polaroid i-type film. June 2018

If you would like to see more photos I took at the Yaddo, please visit my flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159882784@N05/albums/72157698815967764









Comments

Popular Posts